Next, I put fronts on the drawers that will act as drawer pulls and will also keep items from slipping out of the drawers. Here is an image of two drawers leaning against a wall with the fronts on them.
Here is an image of the flat file with the drawers installed.
Next, I had to create the top. For this I used some sanded plywood. But the walls surrounding the flat file are not square. I wish I was a better carpenter, but there you go. So how was I going to cut a top that would fit snug without big gaps between the top and the walls around it? To do this, I used drywall. Or at least, I used a piece of drywall with two original edges that still had the 90 degree corner. I laid one straight edge against the back wall and could then see, and measure, any gaps.
I ended up putting one more slat across the bottom shelf to hide the edge of the particle board and to make it match the fronts of the drawers. The top of the flat file extends forward from the drawers about 5" so that I can sit on a stool and draw on the top. It is quite comfortable. The only additional thing I might do is wax the glides. The drawers pull out fine, but they are heavy and a little wax would help keep them gliding smoothly for years to come. Here is a picture with one of the drawers open.
And here is my helper: Delilah was in my studio with me most of the time while I was making this flat file. Every time I would cut a piece of wood, she would come over and pick up the scrap, go to a carpeted part of the studio, lay down and chew it to splinters. My floor was covered with wood shavings - from her.
I hope you enjoyed this little how-to on making a flat file. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.