I used these images to layout the composition of the painting and made the first layer of paint on canvas. From there I built up the surfaces and colors to create a finished painting of a plate of kale, corn and green beans. The cooked kale was the hardest to paint. It was hard to get a focused picture of it as its edges are rather soft and difficult to pick out.
The next step was to create a background for the inside text pages of the story. Continuing with a food theme, I created drawings of forks and spoons. These images line the text pages and are faded behind the text. This was a very fun story to illustrate. I like the idea of not showing Bartholomew or Gerald, but letting the reader develop their own physical image of the characters.